Monday, December 3, 2012

the one with the correlation


Taken at the Reservoir during my prayer time today. Beautiful New England afternoon:)
When I started this blog a couple of months ago, I intended to post "deep thoughts" on Monday mornings. Well, as you can see - I've posted exactly three deep thoughts which you can find in the "Monday Musings" section of my blog. And now, this right here will become the fourth deep thought. 

For those of you who know me, you are aware of several things about me: I cry easily, I MUST talk through every feeling I've ever had, and I can go from sobbing to laughing in about 30 seconds flat (it's a gift). Well, since getting married those emotional mood swings have grown exponentially. Allow me to be clear - I have the most wonderful, patient, adorable husband on the planet and none of these things are due to him. I blame it all on the stress of transitioning (which I talked about several musings ago). 

But last week marked another turning point in my emotional state. For the first time in awhile I felt more like myself. I felt like I was finally having more normal (nay, rational) emotional responses to daily life and that I was even more easy going (and my husband says, "hallelujah"). I've been trying to determine what, if anything, changed and I came to several conclusions. 

1. Thanksgiving break came and I took a break from the daily pressures of work. I even got out of town:) 
2. Prayer. I started reading a book on the subject (The Prayer of the Righteous by Mark Templer) and I've been having longer, better times with God. 

Simple, right? However, this weekend came and several things got in the way of my prayer time. And wouldn't you know that my emotions got out of control again. Sometimes the correlation between prayer and my daily dose of peace surprises me. And I have to wonder - after being a Christian for 10 years - how am I still so shocked by this? Why is it that I still think that I can make it through the day without intentional, meaningful time with my Maker? 

After all, let's think through some heroes of the faith - they were all noted for their devotion to prayer. 
David: wrote most of the book of Psalms as prayers and songs for God. He teaches us to be honest with our Lord.  
Daniel: was willing to go against the laws of Babylon in order to pray to his Creator. He was even arrested for it!
Elijah: he prayed and called down fire from heaven, rain from the sky, and victory over his enemies. 
Paul: began every letter talking about how earnestly he prayed not for himself but for the disciples in all the churches. Talk about a selfless man of prayer. 

And most notably - Jesus himself! He prayed alone, with his disciples, in large groups - he was constantly withdrawing to spend time with his Father. Even God's Son needed and prioritized prayer. It begs the question - who do I think I am to avoid deep prayer times?

I have a feeling that I'm not the only basket-case who gets surprised by how a lack of prayer affects her emotional well-being. Thank goodness I'm not alone:) But here's my thought - what if I really conquered this? What if I made a true and deep commitment to changing this area of my life?   I think it's time to make that decision. I refuse to be surprised by the correlation and in fact, I'm devoting myself to a higher standard of prayer. 

Who's with me??


3 comments:

  1. that reservoir taught me how to pray. may those paths lead you to great places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this! I definitely can relate and have felt caught up in a whirl-wind of emotions lately that are far more intense than just the "normal" day-to-day ones. And I've noticed the effect prayer and reliance on the word has to calm me down and bring me peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such cute blog! I nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    brenna

    ReplyDelete