Monday, December 17, 2012

the one about connecticut

There are no words that can make sense of something so violent, so heartbreaking, so sad. Many writers and blogs have expressed the perspective of a parent and I'm not here to do that. I'm not a parent, and although I've been so sad and emotional about this whole thing - I can't imagine what I would feel as a mother too. I don't have any kids of my own to squeeze extra tight tonight, but the last few days have reminded me that I have so much to cherish in this fleeting life - my family back home and here in Boston, my wonderful husband, my best friends, my church family, and so much more.

But tonight, I meditated on something far more somber. I found a list of biographies of the victims on CNN's website. Typically, I avoid looking at things like that - it's just too hard to face. But tonight, I decided that I wanted to....rather, that I needed to. As I looked through the names, I prayed for each of the families and loved ones of these adorable children and brave educators. At one point in my prayer, I had to stop and just weep. How could this happen? Why do people do these things? 

As I finished my prayer, I still didn't have any answers. 

But I'm reminded of the Scripture that President Obama quoted yesterday from 2 Corinthians 4:16-18: "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

I'm so glad that the President comforted the nation with these words. They were exactly what I needed to hear (and I doubt that I'm the only one). I'm so grateful that this life isn't it. It's only the beginning. I can't wait to be in the place with no more goodbyes and no more tears. 

I also watched this video from one of the parents, Robbie Parker, about his daughter Emilie. His heart of forgiveness and love challenged me deeply. I hope it heals your heart a little bit too. 

Love, 
Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your vulnerability Alexandra. Without being a parent I truly have no way of grasping the magnitude of pain the parents must be feeling or the fear that has gripped other parents. What I do know is God will have the victory and I need to shine this little light of mine even brighter! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, ML. That's what I keep thinking too!! This world definitely needs a lot more light:) I love you!!

      Delete