Tuesday, December 4, 2012

the one where we got [christmas] crafty

Christmas decorating on a newlywed budget? Challenge accepted. After years of bemoaning my lack of creativity in DIY projects - I finally made some progress this month! I took on three projects (you've got to start somewhere, people) and I thought I would share them with you here. 

1. Yarn Wreath 
For those of you who follow me on Pinterest, you know that I went a little pin happy recently in the wreath department. They are a great combination of home spun (see what I did there?) and put-together. To make my wreath I followed a tutorial from the Decor Chick blog which you can check out here

What you'll need: 
- A wreath form (made of a straw-like thing)
- Two rolls of yarn (if you are doing a two tone like me)
- Hot glue gun
- Decorative feature (I chose greenery with some berries)

What you do: 
It's simple - just wrap the yarn around the wreath form tightly and make sure there aren't any gaps. As you finish with a section (if you opt to do multiple colors), just secure with a dab of hot glue. It took me about 2 hours to wrap while catching up with a friend. Finally, just hot glue the decoration to the front and fix to your liking! 

After I finished wrapping the wreath, I started to attach the greenery with hot glue. 

The Final product! Wrapped the greenery in additional yarn to hide the ends. 

2. Holiday Centerpiece
I wanted something cute and festive for our coffee table - so here's what I came up with! 

What you'll need: 
- A clear vase
- Two bags of fresh (or fake) cranberries 
- Greenery (fake or real)
- a candle (I opted for a mason jar one but tea lights would be cute too)
- twine

What you do: 
Simply fill the bottom with cranberries, decorate the top with greenery (I had leftovers from the wreath) and place the candle in the middle. Finally, wrap the vase with some twine and that's it! Done and done. I really like the way it turned out. And the best part? It was practically free.

I like how this is seasonal without pounding you over the head with Christmas cheer. 

3. Cinnamon Candles
I saw this idea online at Martha Stewart and I wanted to make one for me and one for a dear friend who happens to loveee candles! So, I went for it. 

What you'll need: 
- Vanilla pillar candles
- 2 bags of cinnamon sticks (I suggest a craft store for this)
- Rubber bands
- Twine

What you do: 
In order to get the most out of my cinnamon sticks, I decided to break the sticks in half. I was able to break most of them by myself but J helped me with the thicker ones:) After that, I wrapped the rubber band around the candle and started putting cinnamon sticks side by side. You do have finagle it a bit since some sticks will be large and make the skinny ones slide out. But the rubber band is still much better than glue (I tried both). After you arrange the sticks, wrap the twine around the candle so that the rubber band is fully covered. The candle will look and smell great!

The final result: a sweet-smelling and cozy decoration. I surrounded mine with metallic  accents.
It's amazing how just a few simple decorations can transform your home this time of year. I hope this gets your creative juices flowing! Happy decorating and DIY-ing everyone! Oh and if you have more ideas - please feel free to comment! I have to capitalize on this phase:) 

3 comments:

  1. So fun and they all came out great! We still do not have a tree or any decorations up...our neighbors must think we are the Grinch family. My plan is to get some stuff up this weekend so I can at least enjoy the decor for a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are anything but the Grinch:) I can't wait to see what you guys do! Post pictures please!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the candles! Too bad it's summer here in SA over Christmas. But maybe next year! Who knows where we'll be. :)

    ReplyDelete