Tuesday, December 11, 2012

the one with the weekend visit

Ever have one of those days where you wake up feeling like you've already lived the whole day already? That's me today - totally and completely exhausted in every capacity. But here's the good news - exhaustion can come from the most positive things. Like this weekend, for instance, my dad came into town! It was one of those weekends where you go non-stop but it was completely wonderful. My dad came to Boston not only to visit his favorite daughter...sorry Elizabeth;)....but to speak to our church about the books of 1 & 2 Samuel. I hadn't heard my dad preach in forever and I've got to tell you - it was even better than I remembered. He has the gift of bringing the Bible to life in the most fun, expressive, and deep way. And he makes the best movie references (I mean really, what other preacher quotes "Die Hard" regularly in sermons). 

But hearing him preach was only one of the highlights - we got to talk and catch up, re-tell funny memories, and just be together. One of the best parts of his visit was going to see the Boston Pops holiday concert. The Boston Pops combine symphony orchestra, choral performance, and modern music in this wonderful melodic blend and it was such a great experience. Special bonus? It was totally free! After a night full of merriment I am officially in the Christmas spirit. 


Having my two favorite men together in one place was the perfect December treat - my first married Christmas season and my dad visiting all at once. I truly feel like the "boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places" (Psalm 16:6).

This morning I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful earthly father who points me to my heavenly father. However, I realize that my situation is unique. So many of my friends don't have the relationship with their dad that I get to enjoy - but the amazing thing is that we can all have a father that thinks we're the bees' knees. Don't believe me? The Bible has some wonderful things to say about that. Try reading Isaiah 49:15-16, Psalm 103:11-13, and Zephaniah 3:17 for starters. Here's to a holiday season full of security, peace, and connection:)

Miss you already!




No comments:

Post a Comment