Monday, November 12, 2012

the one where we all made decisions

Ever experience something that just inspires you? This weekend, I had one of those times.  The annual New York/New England campus retreat, "Decision 2012" was this weekend and it was incredible. 550 college students came together to worship God and learn about his purposes for them. At this point in my life, my role as a retreat-attendee has shifted drastically. I'm no longer the target-audience retreats like these - and yet, I still gain so much from going. I still hear the word of God preached powerfully, I still see men and women who inspire me with their faith, I still hear songs that move me to tears, I still reconnect with old friends, I still leave wanting to pursue God like never before. 

Sam and Cynthia Powell were the key-note speakers for the event and did an incredible job preaching the word. As I listened to Cynthia Saturday morning, I was blown away (as I always am) by her wisdom and insight. Cynthia is a woman of one-liners - she knows how to speak the truth in one sentence. Here are a few of my absolute favorites:

"You take care of God's business, and he'll take care of your business."

"God has a perfect will and he also has a permissible will." (too deep to explain haha)

"Your perspective on your problems is in direct correlation to your perception of how big God is."

"After you get what you wanted; are you gonna want what you got?"

She gave me (and the hundreds of other women) in attendance much to think about as she spoke about God's campaign for us as his daughters. It's easy for me to leave weekends of convicting sermons feeling overwhelmed by all I have to grow in and all I have to change - but as I consider one of the main Psalms that Cynthia read - I feel encouraged by my God. 

The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
    slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
    nor will he harbor his anger forever;

he does not treat us as our sins deserve
    or repay us according to our iniquities.
 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him;
 
as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:8-12

I'm very far from perfect. I have so much to grow in. I don't want to stay where I'm at or be content with the status quo. I also don't want to forget the heights of God's grace or the depths of his love. 

I've made my decision. What's yours?

1 comment:

  1. I loved when Cynthia said "Contentment doesn't come from more information, it comes from relying on God." So good.

    ReplyDelete