Tuesday, March 12, 2013

the one with the taste-bud obsession


Fact: I love salsa. 
Fact: I don't really like the stuff from the jar. 
Hence, restaurant-perfect salsa at home!! I never thought I would be the kind of wife that makes my own salsa and yet here I am, food-processing with the best of them. Watch out world, this chick has appliances. 

Before you start thinking of me too highly, allow me to let you in on my secret - this salsa recipe is easy. I first discovered this recipe here but I've tweaked it to my liking.  I've made it half a dozen times over the last month or so and I've finally found the perfect blend of ingredients that make this salsa deliciously spicy without being too spicy. {I used to over-spice it with some jalapeno peppers and this one time... I rubbed my face afterwards by accident. And as I stood, fully clothed, leaning into the shower screaming whilst my skin burned and burned, I realized that the peppers didn't taste that great in the first place. My husband agreed. So take that, spicy peppers!} 

Ingredients: 
1 can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cans Rotel tomatoes and green chiles (mild)
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 limes (I'm an addict...)
1/2 white onion 
1 cup cilantro
bit of salt
bit of sugar

What you do: 
Put all the ingredients in the processor (or blender) and pulse it 7 or 8 times depending on your desired chunkiness. 

And that's all folks. Makes enough to last you for a fairly large tupperware container or a couple of fiestas. 

Party on, chicas!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so good! I hope I can find cilantro here in Joburg. (PS - I am SO in love with lime also!)

    ReplyDelete