Monday, August 12, 2013

{the very first year}

It's hard to believe that it's been ONE WHOLE YEAR since I became Mrs. Alexandra Ghoman! I mean, really, how did that happen?!

Photo by Vanessa Embling
People say that your wedding day is the happiest/most perfect/most amazing day of your whole life. And well - it is pretty incredible:) But it's not quiteeee perfect. Case in point: I woke up that morning to a charlie horse in my right calf muscle freakishly early and screaming. How's that for birds chirping and waking you up with the morning's light? I look back on my wedding day and I love the way it was, the way it felt - from the beautiful barn that was ridiculously hot (ok, that I would change), to the parade of flower children that walked down the aisle, to the cookie and lemonade mini-reception, to the yard games next to the apple orchard, the personalized Jones' sodas made by mother-in-law, and the twinkle-light reception - it was an amazing day. When I planned my wedding, I didn't quite know what I wanted it to look like - that part came later - but I knew what I wanted it to feel like. I wanted it to feel like family. I wanted it to feel like a reunion. And it totally did. Every detail came from that desire - the location, the food, the decorations, the music, and so much more. 

But mostly, when I think about my wedding - it was a means to an end. That special day led me to become the wife of my favorite person on the planet. Before we met, I was terrified that I would never find someone like him. I was worried that all the righteous, attractive, and interesting people were married already (or definitely not interested in me) and that I would have to settle for a lesser candidate (optimistic, I know). But then - I met Jesse. And he was more than I could ever hope for. He still is. 

I know that many of the girls who read my blog are married (solidarity, sistah) -- but I'm also aware that many are not. Maybe you're still waiting for your prince. And allow me, on this one year of marriage to give you a little piece of advice: wait for the right person - not just a willing person. Marriage is too amazing, too crazy, and honestly too difficult to enter into it with anyone other than a spiritual man who really loves you as Jesus does.

As I look back on our first year of marriage, I'm pretty amazed by how far we've come. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions, adventures, and lessons that I wouldn't trade for anything. I feel so thankful for J and that he picked me to spend his life with. I also feel so grateful for all of you - my family and friends who have patiently given me advice, cheered me on, and made this first year even more fun (whether in person or through this blog)! I'm forever grateful.



A glimpse at our day for those of you who may have missed it:) Thanks to our dear friend, Jonny Havens, videographer extraordinaire for capturing it.

Here's to many more years and many more anniversaries! 

xoxo
A+J

1 comment:

  1. Such a good thing to read, Alexandra! I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete