Monday, October 15, 2012

the one with the transition




As campus ministers, J and I typically work weekends so we loveee our slower (sort-of) Mondays. With a whole day to do whatever we need to do - I try to take some extra time to think, pray and read on these days. I can't say that all of my Monday musings are particularly deep...but I try!

Today was a special Monday. This weekend, I flew down to Georgia for Candice's wedding (more on that later!) so today I spent some time on the plane reflecting, praying and reading as I came home to Boston and to my wonderful husband. 

Today I spent some time reflecting on God's love. One of my best friends, Erin, sent me a text message the other day encouraging me to reread Isaiah 43:1-7. What an amazing passage full of hope and promise. As I reflected on this passage as well as Ephesians 1-2, I felt so moved just remembering the God that I serve. 

Since getting married two months ago, I've felt more grateful than ever before but I've also felt a bit disconnected from God. It's been a happy transition and a tough transition all at once. Everything is new - and my spiritual walk is no different. I finally feel the divide that the apostle Paul talks about to the church in Corinth. But this morning - something finally clicked for me. As I read through these passages a song came on my iPhone that helped me to realize some things I've been missing. The song? I Am by Nichole Nordeman. The lyrics go through a woman's life and talk about how your perception of God changes with every stage of life. The song paints a picture of a woman who learns to cling to God with every twist and turn of life. 

Names used to describe God: helper, healer, superhero, heartache healer, secret-keeper, best friend, Savior, shepherd, pasture-maker, comforter, redeemer, Lord and King, Beginning and the End, I AM. 

Listening to this reminded me that God never changes - but that our relationship will change as I grow older. And that's to be expected. I'm sure this is only the beginning of life complications, but God can handle every twist and turn - he is worthy of my heart, my soul, my everything. And that's truly wonderful news:) 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. So glad I waited a week after my emotional meltdown at the airport with you to read this. Learning a lot about transitions these days and it seems like Isaiah has a lot to say about the subject:)

    ReplyDelete